Monday, March 24, 2014

Why I've Quit Eating for 30 Days

The old, all-too familiar pain had returned. With a vengeance.

My clothing informed me that I had indeed found at least a few of those previous lost pounds.

I began dreading mealtimes and the lingering consequences.

It was time for another juice fast.

You may already know that I have a bit of experience with juice fasting.

I completed my first lengthy juice fast-- of 21 days-- in 2010.
I enjoyed a 60 day juice fast in 2012 with incredible results. See...


Since then, I've fasted here and there, but nothing major. I did continue to juice breakfast last year as our family trained for our first 5K. (Read From Couch to 5K here)

Recent health issues have caused me to revisit the idea of another lengthy juice fast and so now I find myself on day 8 of a 30 day juice fast! My 25 year old daughter Stephanie is joining me this round.

I don't plan to journal through these 30 days as I did with the 60 day juice fast; I have no available time for that, but I did want to share a few things here that we've discovered that are not included in my eBook Tugboat: My Voyage Out of Obesity.

More Juicing Tips to Keep You Afloat

  • Prepare the juice BEFORE you need it! This is so important, because while juicing, when you are void of nutrients, you are totally depleted! Trembling and a sense of panic will ensue. We prepare our morning juice and lunch juice first thing in the morning and put them in canning jars in the fridge till we need them. Dinner juice is prepped well before the dinner hour.
  • Juice with a buddy! Even if they don't live with you, it is very comforting to know that someone else is going through this with you. Plus, you can keep each other accountable and encouraged.
  • Smelling delicious food is oddly satisfying. Preparing food is not as a big a deal as you would think. On the contrary, Steph and I both find cooking strangely enjoyable during a juice fast.
  • Mineral salt, especially Celtic salt, is very satisfying! Just a little sprinkle directly on the tongue can help curb the appetite.
  • Oil pulling each morning, using coconut oil, helps minimize the white coating I get on my tongue from day 3 on. Plus my mouth feels fresh. There are other benefits to oil pulling as well!
  • One thing that surprises me most about fasting is that I expect to feel weak and vulnerable while juicing, but I have found the opposite to be true! I feel strong and empowered; as though I can accomplish anything! (Especially in the morning). And I have the energy to follow through. 
  • Finally, our biggest and best discovery: Chia seed! Oh how I wish I had known about this incredible little superfood the first go around; I could've saved myself (and my daughters) so much discomfort! I've been enjoying a spoonful with each glass of juice and everytime I start to feel hungry. Viola'! Instant relief! Of course, by day 4 the hunger pangs were pretty much gone anyway, but at least I didn't feel all emotional and weepy (hunger makes a person so vulnerable). You can Google it to read about their amazing properties, though I read a book about them from the library. The author runs long-distance marathons and keeps his seeds with him for a boost of energy during the race.
I won't say this fast has been "easy" (I've definitely had my moments!), but these tips have helped make it more bearable. Morning time is the best part of the day, when I feel energetic and mentally alert. If I'm going to struggle, it will usually be later in the evening, as I'm winding down.

I continue to suffer from leaky gut and multiple food intolerance and allergies. In some ways, I wish I could just live on juice! This time I am also taking these supplements to heal the gut issues:
  • L Glutamine powder is very healing to the gut.
  • Diatomaceous earth. Though there is some controversy about taking this internally, as it can cause digestive issues, I am taking a teaspoon daily for parasites and to help remove heavy metals from my body.
  • Resveratrol for inflammation.
  • Oreganol P73 and clove essential oil to kill yeast and unwanted bacteria in my gut.
  • Probiotics
  • Homemade Kombucha 

I am also looking for grass-fed beef bones and organic chicken to make bone broth (which is very healing to the gut) to add to our fast, perhaps once a day.

For now, I am enjoying this new feeling of health and vitality! I've had no stomach pain for 7 whole days!

So there you have it; a few more tips to help you on your juicing journey.







Photobucket

Networked Blogs - Facebook - E-Mail Updates - Pinterest

This post is linked with:

Modest Mondays
Raising Homemakers

11 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl! Congradulations on going again! I love the list you made to take during your juic fast. Great things. I wanted to tell you on Amazon you can orderGreat Lakes Gelatn. Which is unflavored beef gelatin prepared the same way as the chicken broth. I put a spoonfull in my coffee and love it. What makes the broth so healing is the gelatin in it. Your guts are made from the same thing as gelatin. Make sure you buy the grewn can. I read that red is for making jello, and green for drinks. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that information Sarah! I will definitely check it out!

      Delete
  2. I think it may be healthier and better for your health issues if you find a solution that is long term and not so on again off again like juice fasts. Finding a healthy way of eating that is sustainable and long term. Whatever you do I pray you have health and comfort :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I hope I haven't given the impression that regular juice fasting is unhealthy! Quite the opposite is true. I will continue to juice and occasionally fast, even after my health is where I feel it should be. You are right about needing to find a permanent solution. I think I may have, in the form of the GAPS diet, but I am just not ready to jump in, as it will require a minimum 2 year commitment. Thirty days I can commit to; 2 years is a bit more daunting! ;) Thank you for your prayers!

      Delete
  3. That is really amazing! There is definitely a great change and difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished my 2nd 30-day juice fast in 10 months. My first I did after, like you, I was feeling so bad, that I needed to do something to stop the downward spiral. My chiropractor recommended it, but he never dreamed I'd do it for 30 days! After losing 30 lbs, losing joint pain, losing lots of inflammation, losing fatigue, brain fog and sleeplessness, I was convinced that I did the right thing. Following a grain-free diet, and juicing on occasion to supplement my diet, I continued to lose more weight. After 10 months, my daughter wanted some of those same results, so I offered to do it with her, though I still felt great, had not regained any weight, and was going strong. Well, we just finished last week (definitely not as easy for me, as I really didn't "need" it, but glad I persevered anyways.... and daughter is grateful for the companionship! She feels great too!) I lost another 14 or so lbs, and am still full of energy.
    I think juice fasts are very beneficial, as a detox, a reset, and ra eturn to concentrated minerals and vitamins that the body needs and craves.
    Thank you for sharing this with us... you are an inspiration to us all! Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow; way to be a SUPER Mom! ☺ That took some real discipline to be willing to go a second round so soon, especially while feeling well. Way to go! Thank you for your words of encouragement!

      Delete
  5. I have been drinking lots so water as well as juice / smoothies..do those count. They are strawberry banana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though smoothies can be very healthy (depending what you put in them; hint: you can hide spinach and chia seeds in there!), it is not the same as juicing. A juicer extracts the fresh juice from the pulp (which is discarded; not consumed). Smoothies can be a great way to transition though!

      Delete
  6. What brand of juicer do you have? I know you really liked it but I can't remember the name. I can't imagine all anyone goes through to have so much gut problems

    GOD BLESS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am using a Champion (household model). I like it better than the Breville, as it does extract more juice, but doesn't do as well as my former Champion (which was commercial grade).

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; this is very encouraging to me! As I realize that not everyone will agree with the way we choose to live our lives, I will allow negative comments, as long as they are respectful, however, I will no longer allow comments published under "Anonymous".

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...